My Blog List

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Americas Next Top Cattle Call


"Do you want to be a part of AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL?,the hit show that gives young women the opportunity to compete in the high stakes world of modeling? Were looking for a diverse group of real women who want to become the next top model. If you think you've got what it takes and you are 5'7,all shapes and sizes, come to our next open call!"

Well the ad sure sounded good,and what did I have to lose? (besides a few dress sizes)
On August 26th at 9am I packed up my portfolio,14 page application and metro card and "hauled ass" down to the Park Central hotel on 55th. As I reached the hotel I saw the line of girls that continued all the way up to 57th street and wrapped around the building. I walked to the end of the line the hawk-like eyes of the hopeful models followed my every move. Most had on layers of makeup,jewelry and hair product-every no no in the "go see" world. I took my place at the end of the long line. Tourists kept pointing at us, and video taping as if they had never seen aspiring models in real life before. Local news stations were interviewing random girls as the line progressed toward the entrance. Around 1:45 I finally made it to the entrance. My feet were killing me and my hair was totally deflated. Once we were let into the building (after showing photo id) we were filmed by the WB's cameras. We walked down stairs and got our numbers and waivers. I was #1072. Then we were lead into a huge banquet room. About 600 girls were already seated in the chairs,and we took a row. When someone asked how long they had been sitting there they said "about 2 hours". When I heard that I knew I had some time on my hands so I went outside to a nearby deli and got some lunch. When I returned nothing had changed so I started my book. I thought about leaving at this point,but since I had already waited so long I decided to stick it out. Around 4:15 my row was finally called to wait in another line. This one would lead us to the room where we would be filmed with the panel. After a half hour we were led up 6 flights of stairs to another line. The casting person told us that our numbers needed to be on the left side of our chest and we were to stand toe to heel with the girl in front of us once we entered "the room."
The double doors parted and we were led into the over air conditioned hotel ballroom where the panel of casting directors awaited. We were crammed in one in front of the other until about 200 girls filled the room around the walls. Once everyone was in,they told us we were to say our name,age,height and weight into the microphone with no interruptions. It sounded like this-Jane Doe-22-5'7-125, 200 times over. Once every girl was finished the judges went over the #'s and told us that if they didn't announce ours we were to leave. My # was not announced and only 4 were. The girls chosen were all 5"10-6 feet tall and very very thin. So much for "all shapes and sizes". I didn't really expect to be picked so I wasn't disappointed. Some of the girls were devastated and crying. They wont last long in this industry of rejection. My feet were killing me and I couldn't wait to get home. As soon as I walked in the door something strange happened. My cell phone rang and the producers of ANTM were on the line. They told me that the WB producers would like me to return on Monday for a "appointment" audition for the "Pussycat Dolls" group. I think i'll pass.

No comments: