My Blog List

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Relisience my friends, relisience.

To be an auditioning actor, you must be resilient.
The dictionary defines it as:
re·sil·ience
\ri-ˈzil-yən(t)s\
Date:
1824
1 : the capability of a strained body to recover its size and shape after deformation caused especially by compressive stress
2 : an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change.

In choosing to be an actor, you must be more resilient than a hooker, who blows ten guys for her next hit of crack, then does it again the next day.
You must be like a little bath sponge, which shrinks up in your hand when you use it, but a few minutes later is back to its puffy size.
Or like an NYC water bug, which is so freaking hard to kill you can hit it 46 times and it's still running around taunting you.
I digress.
At some point all of the other bitches and wannabees decided, hey I wanna be an actor! (which is now a generic term for both sexes).
Sure people told us it would be hard, but did we really know the facts of choosing a career filled with rejection?
In the real world of corporate hell and suits, you might send out 26 resumes for one interview.
In acting you could send out 100 head shots and resumes before getting one call.
When you finally do book a job, it's usually short lived with a short shelf life.
Rejection is never easy.
After most auditions, actors never get much feedback on ourselves or the performance, which leaves us to decide what went wrong.
Was my ass to big? Am I to short? Is my hair color wrong? Do I just suck balls all around? Do I need implants?
Probably option four most of the time. Ouch.
So why do we do it?
I have the theory that if you could be happy doing ANYTHING else besides act, than you'll never make it.
If you have a backup career, than you WILL fall back on it.
The corporate devil will try to suck you in with nice salary, insurance, and paid vacation in exchange for your dreams and soul.
But, as I found from getting sucked into the black corporate devil hole in the past, you will never be happy unless you do what you love. My resilience helped me prevail! Whoooohaha!

Maybe the Resilience can be chalked up to Disillusion, or a Disconnection with reality.
Whatever it is, I say better get an RDD disorder quickly bitches, if you are going to make it as a performer.

No comments: